Friday, December 13, 2013

Nashville News Roundup: Week Ending 12/13/2013

Ray Price - Photo by Frazer Harrison/Getty Images
Every Friday I deliver the Nashville News Roundup on WFKY - Froggy 104.9/101.7 out of Frankfort, Kentucky.  You can listen on the radio, online at www.myfroggyville.com, or on the "Tune-In" app on your phone.  Usually airs right around 9:20-9:25 am est.  Here are this week's topics:
 
Ray Price Update
Country music legend Ray Price left an east Texas hospital to go to his home in Mt. Pleasant for hospice care. News channel KLTV revealed today that Price is in the final stages of pancreatic cancer.  Ray has left this final message for his fans: "I love my fans and have devoted my life to reaching out to them. I appreciate their support all these years and I hope I haven't let them down. I am at peace. I love Jesus. I'm going to be just fine. Don't worry about me. I'll see you again one day."  Read more here.

Kristofferson to Receive Grammy Honor
Kris Kristofferson will be honored with the Recording Academy's Lifetime Achievement Award during a Grammy Week ceremony Jan. 25, with formal acknowledgment of the honor made during the Jan. 26 Grammy telecast on CBS-TV. Kristofferson joins the Beatles, the Isley Brothers, Kraftwerk and more as this year's recipients. The award recognizes "performers who have made contributions of outstanding artistic significance."
 
Wayne Mills Update
There has been an outpouring of love and support from the country music community for the family of country music singer Wayne Mills.  Read his obituary that was read at his memorial service this past Sunday here.

Handpicked Download of the Week
: Beautiful Star of Bethleham - The Judds
 
Awesome Possum Fact of the Week: May the bird of paradise fly up your nose come December 19th as that will be the day we celebrate Little Jimmy Dickens' 93rd birthday!  He is the oldest living Grand Ole Opry star and still performs from time to time.  On a personal note, I believe it should be a national holiday as I just love Little Jimmy Dickens! :)