Friday, December 2, 2011

Power to the Country Music Radio Listeners

I love small town radio stations. I was raised in a small town and always felt that radio should be local based, not what a corporate person made as a "hot list" of what "must" be played.  Sometimes the folks that are top dogs on that list are not necessarily the hottest thing in a small town.

Three country music radio stations in Kentucky are always on my radio whenever I'm traveling through their neck of the woods. Frankfort's Froggy 104.9 is first and foremost on my list.  They allow me to gab about country music.  They have an annual Froggy Field Party that features artists in the beginning of their careers before they go off and make it big.  They had Whitney Duncan (who was on Survivor tv show), Justin Moore, Josh Thompson, Ashley Ray, The Roys, Chris Janson, Rhett Akins, and more over the last few years. Hands down I have had more fun at those shows because it is a relaxed family atmosphere.  Froggy features young and older artists - even my favorite, Little Jimmy Dickens. :)

Next up is Coyote 100.7 out of Richmond, KY.  I'm a loyal listener of Karl Shannon as he is a hoot to be around.  The Coyote features young and old music along with their Bluegrass Express on Sunday nights.  I listened to the Coyote all the time when I was a student at Berea College.

Down in the Cumberland River region, be sure to tune into The Big Dawg 99.9 FM.  They have a great variety of country music and the djs are great.  They are also very active in their community.

Speaking of community - that is what local radio stations are about.  Who would you add as your favorite local small town radio station?