Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Mules, Mullets, and Music

Seems like forever since I've truly blogged. New goal - weekly posts. Things are picking up and getting busier these days. I'm getting ready for the Kentucky State Fair this week and that means a few things - mules, mullets, and music.  My favorite tradition ever since I was a little one was seeing the Oak Ridge Boys perform the first Sunday night of the fair.  I have been extremely fortunate to meet them and interview them.  I will be perfectly honest and say that my interview with Joe Bonsall is by far one of my favorites I've done.  I'm still a firm believer that most newer artists could learn a thing or two from the legends on what to do in this business. I am always amazed that no matter how old they get, the Oak Ridge Boys keep performing year after year.  Their voices are like a fine bourbon - better with age.  Not a lot in this music business can say their voice is still up to par after years of singing.

This year's Kentucky State Fair will be even more unique as the Oak Ridge Boys will now be referred to the Grand Ole Opry Boys.  (Click here for story).  Their music has intertwined throughout our lives and I couldn't be more happier for this bunch.  They are a major stepping stone in the business and a piece of Americana history.