Friday, January 15, 2016

A little note of thanks from a friend



Back when I was a senior in college, I did an independent study on Bluegrass Music in music and movies, as well as the hillbilly influence. I was fortunate to interview several folks who went on to win many IBMA awards, Grammys, and more. One of those was Ralph Stanley, with many thanks to James Alan Shelton for setting up that interview 14 years ago. It was right during the success of the movie "O Brother Where Art Thou?" and bluegrass music was gaining popularity more than ever.  

That interview with Ralph Stanley led to multiple papers and presentations.  I sent James a copy of the paper and he sent back a signed cover sheet signed by everyone in the band. He also sent this post it note. I came across it today while going through some things. It made me smile because he was always friendly to everyone he met. He would also send me a Christmas card each year. We lost James Alan Shelton a couple of years ago, but I know many of us remember his kindness.

Today, spread a little bit of kindness towards someone, whether it be the cashier, a coworker, or a family member.  We could all use a little bit of sunshine in this world that we live in today.  You can make a difference in someone's life.