Tuesday, January 14, 2014

The Comfort Zone

Music is very much alive!
They say that music defines who we are.  Well if that is the case, I'm a full spectrum of sound.  I love my country music, but I also reach out to rock, metal, blues, jazz, bluegrass, Appalachian, and all kinds of creativity.  Maybe that is why I am such a music nut.  I never adapt to one style, just a blend of music.  I joked about attending two concerts one weekend - one night was Limp Bizkit, Wu-tang Clan, and DMX and the next night was Ralph Stanley.  That was back in my college years.  These days, I have such a wide variety of music in my collection.

One thing I have learned over the years is that you have to step out of your comfort zone in life.  For me, that is staying in tune with various styles of music.  I love going to Woodsongs Old Time Radio Hour shows in Lexington, Kentucky, as there is such a blend of beautiful music.

Diversity.  That is what defies my music collection.  I appreciate a good song, a good lyric, production, the overall feeling that someone poured in their heart and soul into a piece of work.  Scratch that - make that a piece of art.  Music is indeed a rare form of art that many try to achieve, but very few create timeless classics.

What are you listening to?  Who is defining your musical soul?