Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Oak Ridge Boys: Time Honored Tradition

Each year, there are a few things you can expect to ALWAYS see at the Kentucky State Fair - Funnel Cakes, Mules, Mullets, and Music.  In the music category, you can always count on the Oak Ridge Boys to play at the Kentucky State Fair year after year.  In fact, I've started making it a tradition to see them play live on the Sunday night showcase.  Fans of all ages keep coming back for a slice of true American Country Music.  Last year, I had the privilege to interview Richard Sterban, bass singer...and YES he does talk exactly how he sings!  I also got to finally meet Joe Bonsall.  We had been going back and forth on Twitter for several months and we finally met up at the fair.  That was a real treat and I will put in a plug and say go out and buy his book, From My Perspective.  It's a great piece of work.  Last year's performance at the fair was a special one as The Grascals opened up for them.  Joe even came out and played Foggy Mountain Breakdown on the banjo with Kristen Scott Benson of the Grascals.  I'm tickled pink that both will be back for this year's Kentucky State Fair.

This year also marks the 30th anniversary of the hit song "Elvira." I guess you could say I literally grew up listening and singing along. Here is a video of that classic hit song at the Kentucky State Fair a couple of years ago.  My little camera wasn't the best - but you can hear the crowd at Cardinal Stadium singing along.

August 21st - mark your calendars as that is when "the boys are back" and singing along more memories at the Kentucky State Fair!