Friday, October 22, 2010

Puddin Howell is leading a musical journey

A dream is finally coming true for Garrick "Puddin" Howell of Lexington, Kentucky as he releases his long awaited album. In celebration of the album release, Howell will be having a cd release party at Austin City Saloon Friday night. The dream has been a long time coming.

Upon graduating from the University of Kentucky a Bachelor's Degree in Agriculture Education, he help co-found the southern rock band, Fifth on the Floor. After a two year run with the band and an album release, Puddin Howell decided to pursue his own dreams. He would soon find himself playing in front of many country music fans at Austin City Saloon.

"I started in 2004 doing karaokee and really grew up in the bar. In 2006, I asked Momma (owner of Austin City Saloon) to do a patio acoustic show. It would soon blossom and I literally worked my way in from the back porch," Howell noted.

He would soon receive the support from Beam Global Brands - specifically Knob Creek, as well as local radio stations. In fact, he has been featured on Frankfort, Kentucky's Froggy 104.9 FM's Local show. In 2008, he opened up for their first annual Froggy Field Party with Justin Moore and Whitney Duncan.

Puddin Howell's musical influences include legendary performers Waylon Jennings and Conway Twitty, as well as Chris Knight and Jamey Johnson. While in high school, he began writing songs and working on his craft of being a musician.

Now that the moment has arrived and the album has been released, Puddin exclaimed, "I'm excited as I've ever been with this moment. I feel like I'm 8 years old on Christmas morning. I'm proud of this project and I just want to share it with people."

One of the standout tracks, Scared of the Dark, is also the one with the most meaning and honesty according to Howell. "Every element in that song brings me back. I remember when our county road paved the road. I remember grandpa singing songs and dad allowing me to honk the horn on the green truck that I called "Kermit." Whenever dad gassed the truck, I would say 'ride fast dad.' That song is the most personal and meaningful song to me."

Dreams do come true and for Garrick "Puddin" Howell, this dream is just beginning in his music career.